Saturday 31 March 2012

Keith's Handout 1

HANDOUT 1: USING VIDEO IN THE BUSINESS ENGLISH CLASS

Using informal language for a team meeting. Target language could include these expressions taken from the OUP video book ‘Successful Meetings’:

Asking about progress

How are things going?

What’s happening in your department this week?

How is everything in your department?

What’s the current situation with?

Is that everything (for your department)?

Discussing projects and schedules

We’re meeting / talking to / setting up...

(Progressing well)

We’re within the budget / ahead of schedule / on time / on track

(Not progressing well)

We’re over budget / behind schedule / out of time /

We’ve hit a problem / missed the deadline.

Clarifying problems

What exactly is the problem?

What do you mean?

What are you saying?

Are you saying...?

So is the problem that...?

What do you mean exactly?

Offering help

I’ll do it. / I can do it.

Why don’t I do it?

Leave it with me.

Do you want me to do it?

Delegating

Can you / Can’t you do it?

Would you like to...?

I need somebody to...

Would someone ... for me?

Summarising the action to be taken

To recap / To sum up

I’m going to... / We’re going to... / He’s going to

We’ve also agreed that...

No comments:

Post a Comment