• Songs are fun, lively ways to present and practise new language.
• Don’t only use a song once, use them frequently for lesson warm ups or endings to help students remember the language.
Warmer – Song titles
• Think of all the songs you can with _____ in the title.
– a girl’s name
– Day of the week
– A colour
Or whatever the topic of your lesson is.
· Respond to the song - Play two or three songs ask if students would, turn up, or turn off radio, why?
· Respond to the song 1 – ask students to do certain action when they hear words that are in a specific category.
· Respond to the song 2 – ask students to do mines when they hear words that can have mimes.
· Singing the song - always great to get students to sing the songs, try taking out words each time they sing it or try singing in rounds, one group starts singing The next group joins in after the first line etc.
· correcting the mistake – give the students the lyric of the song with some mistakes, they listen and correct the mistakes, a nice way to reuse gapfills.
· draw the song – students draw the meaning of the song and describe their pictures to their partners.
· Grab Game / Bingo write words from the song on pieces of paper. Listen to the song and when you hear the words on the paper try to grab the piece of paper. The person with the most pieces of paper at the end of the game is the winner. Or Draw a bingo grid, students write in words. Play song, students cross off words they hear.
· Respond to the song - Listen to the song and imagine...The group who is singing, how many, male or female, ages etc. How are they feeling? This can lead to a ‘book ‘ project or a ‘poster’ project about their imagined band.
· Respond to the song - Listen to the song and think about what advert / film it comes from. A Again this can lead to a poster or project work.
· Matching songs and pictures – find some pictures and display them, play some songs and ask students to match the song to the picture. You could use countryside scenes, towns, people etc etc etc.
· News Song – a homework task, ask students to find sings that go with news stories in the news at the moment. get them to devise a radio station running order, summary of news then song then another news point then song.